KGK (Kirisutosha Gakusei Kai) is an evangelical ministry to university students in Japan and is a member of the International Fellowship of Evangelical Students (IFES). We are seeking to reach university students in Japan with the gospel of Jesus Christ. At present, there are around 1,370 students who are involved in the ministry of KGK around the country. Some of the larger groups may have up to 30 students. Some campuses may have only one Christian student that we know of.
If you are an international student or know someone who is coming to study in Japan, please contact the following staff members through this Google Form.
They will be more than happy to connect you with students and staff in the area/region.
Yasuyuki Kamata (International Ministry Staff worker) firstname.lastname@example.org
Kellie Nicholas (Missionary Staff worker in Kansai region) email@example.com
For information on OCF (Overseas Christian Fellowship), please see here.
Prayer Requests -June to July 2019
• Please pray that students who came to the New Students Welcome Party would continue to be linked with Campus and Block activities. Pray that unbelieving students would come to know Jesus, connect with a local church and be saved. Please pray for Christian students’ witness. Do pray for fellowship to resume in Kushiro and Hakodate where there is presently no KGK activity.
• This year’s student theme is ‘Be Still’. Please pray for students to remember it in their everyday lives and, as they quiet themselves before the Lord, would they be able to count their blessings and walk in the paths the Lord has prepared for them.
• Please pray for preparations for Summer Camp (14th – 17th August). Seeking students are invited for 2 nights, 3 days from 15th – 17th August. Please pray that students would invite their friends and share the gospel with them over this time. Pray that God would feed us body and soul from His word.
• Please pray for protection over Staff Worker Sugimoto Jun and Graduate Assistant Hashimoto Ikku as they travel around Hokkaido, and that he would have good fellowship with the students. Pray that they would engage earnestly and carefully with each and every person.
• This year’s Theme Verse is 1 Peter Chapter 13 Verse 15: ‘Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.’ We are thinking about ‘Evangelism’ under the theme of ‘Are You Ready?’ We studied this topic on a Camp from April 30th – May 1st and the students have returned to their various contexts. Please pray that students would continue to learn well, and bear witness to Christ through ‘life’ and ‘word’.
• Please pray for the Regional Committee, and the Summer Camp Organising Committee. Both Committees comprise students from a number of prefectures and meetings mainly take place online. Even with these limitations, do pray for them to communicate and work well together. This year’s Summer Camp is scheduled for 20th – 23rd August.
• Please pray for universities where there are no KGK activities or student contact. Currently there are no stable Campus activities in Iwate and Fukushima prefectures.
• Please pray for Staff Worker Nagai Sosei to take forward the work in the Tohoku region in an appropriate way, and to have wisdom as to where to prioritise time within the region.
• We’ll be holding a Leaders Training Camp from 31st May – 1st June. Please pray that many students serving on Campus, Block and Regional Committees, as well as students with some leadership responsibilities, would be able to come.
• A series of study seminars for KGK staff got under way in April. The theme of this year’s series is an introduction to apologetics, and the lecturer is Pastor Nomura Takamichi of JECA Ikutaoka-no-ue Church. Graduates and students are also welcome to attend. The next seminar takes place on Friday 14th June, on the topic of ‘Arguments for the Existence of God’. Please pray for stimulating learning.
• A KGK Open Seminar organized by our Supporters Group is scheduled for Monday 17th June. Please pray for many pastors, church council members and believers with a burden for mission amongst students to come together and have a good time of learning and fellowship. Please pray for speaker Staff Worker Aida Miyuki.
• Summer Camp is scheduled to take place at Matsubara Lake Bible Camp from Tuesday 20th to Friday 23rd August. It’s an evangelistic camp for as yet not believing or baptized students. Please pray for Christian students to invite their friends. Please pray for the Organising Committee. Please pray for the ministry of speaker Oshima Shigenori.
• We will hold Challenge Camp at Matsubara Lake Bible Camp from Tuesday 27th to Saturday 31st August. This camp is mainly for Christian students. Please pray for their faith to mature as a result. Please pray for speaker Pastor Endo Masanobu.
• Our theme for the year is ‘God’s Love, Human Love, Supporting Love – Living as Christ’s Body’. With this in mind, please pray for us to love one another as we receive God’s love.
• Please pray for new students to get connected with KGK’s activities, and to experience the joy of studying the Bible.
• Please pray for Shizuoka Camp from 14th-15th June. Students in Shizuoka are quite isolated so please pray that this would be a time of encouragement in the faith and growth in maturity for them.
• Please pray for the work and spiritual lives of Staff Workers Kawano Yuya, Yamaguchi Kakeru and Judith Ricken.
• Please pray for spiritual protection for members of the new Steering Committee, and that they would be able to support Hokuriku Region KGK.
• Please pray for Bible studies and prefectural prayer meetings to keep going, and that these would be good times of fellowship and prayer for students, including new students.
• Please pray for God’s protection on the Summer Camp Planning Committee, particularly that each member would grow in maturity and faith.
• Please pray for a month-long prayer initiative starting at June’s Bible study to encourage praying for other campuses. Pray particularly that we’d get to know other Campuses and be praying for them.
• Pray for the‘Graduate Students Present...’seminar on 6th July. Pastor Higa Yasuhide of Churches Alliance Fukui Central Church is speaking on the theme of ‘Working as a Christian’. Please pray for his preparation, and for the students and graduates to get a good grasp of what it looks like to work in a way that pleases the Lord.
• Please pray for Campus prayer meetings to keep going, and for students to pray expectantly.
• Please pray for Regional finances to be blessed, so that we can move even further forward in this ministry.
• Please pray for the work of the Supporters Group, particularly that more and more churches in the Region would know about what KGK does.
• Please pray that the Graduates Groups would encourage members’ faith, and stimulate people to pray for students.
• We praise God for new students in each Campus and Block.
• Please pray that those new students would continue to participate in KGK activities.
• Please pray for good preparation for this years’s Summer Camps. The first is evangelistic and takes place from 19th – 21st August. Then, from 3rd-6th September, we have a camp aimed at Christians.
• Please pray that Graduates Fellowship would be used for student support and mutual fellowship.
• Please pray for God to provide the staff we need in the Region.
• Please pray for the Region’s financial needs to be met.
• Please pray for those affected by the landslides in Western Japan last July, particularly Kurashiki in Okayama, Kure in Hiroshima, and Uwajima in Ehime. May God use the disaster support network set up by regional churches.
• Please pray for student evangelism on each Campus and in each Prefecture. Pray that there would be Christians at each university, who link up with KGK activities. Please pray for new Christian students on each Campus in the new academic year.
• We are grateful for a number of new Campus activities starting this academic year. Please pray that they would continue to foster Campus evangelism.
• Please pray for continued energetic evangelism on Campuses in the San’in region (Tottori and Shimane prefectures).
• Pray that students and graduates would live out the Gospel in the places to which God has sent them.
• Please pray that the Alumni gatherings in each Prefecture would be times of good fellowship, prayer and encourage support.
• Pray for the Annual Theme Focus Camp June 14th - 15th - especially ask God to help the Regional Student Committee who are doing the planning.
• Pray for blessing on the Alumni camp (28th – 29th June), especially for speaker Ogawa Makoto's preparation.
• Pray that KGK supporters would be raised up through the supporters gathering on 20th July.
• Please pray for more workers for student evangelism in the Chushikoku Region. May we be able to employ more Staff Workers in the Region.
• Please pray for those affected by the earthquake in Oita, Kumamoto Prefecture. Through its involvement with the Kyushu Christian Disaster Relief Centre, would KGK be able to help long-term, and provide ever better service.
• Please pray for students’spiritual growth and church life. Would new students at Campus and monthly local area KGK meetings continue to be connected with campus groups.
• Pray for the staff worker to take time, in the midst of busyness, to be quiet before God, to pray, and be taught and challenged through the Bible, and to grow in faith.
• Please pray for him to have healthy relations with his wife and family, as he travels about a lot. Pray that his two children would put their trust in Christ. Please pray also for God’s blessing on the work of cooperating Staff, and on their families.
• Please pray for our Steering Committee and for organizational stability for KGK. Would students work together and serve one another as brothers and sisters in the faith.
• Pray that we’d be able to hold Graduates Fellowship Meetings for the whole of Kyushu.
• We would like to see more Staff Workers in Kyushu in the next 3 years. Please pray for finances to be able to provide for what is needed.
• Please pray as we prepare for this year’s Summer Camp. Please also pray for the middle/high school camp (‘Tamago 2’) that KGK is organizing for March 2020.
• Give thanks that the Okinawa region new students welcome meeting was held on May 11th, and that new members attended.
• Pray that Bible Studies and Prayer Meetings would continue at Ryukyu University, Meio University, and Okinawa Christian University, and that the work of the Lord would advance in the Okinawa region.
• Pray for protection on the planning of Summer Camp to take place August 27th-30th; and for many to attend.
• Please pray for graduating students to keep walking with the Lord. Pray for blessing on the monthly graduates Bible study.
• Please pray for the Welcome Party for new students on 18th May. Pray that we’d be able to make links with new students and for deepening relationships in the Lord.
• Despite no resident KGK staff in Okinawa, pray that each of the activities would be kept from harm - pray for KGK staff member Narumi Tomoko responsible for Okinawa (as well as working in the Kansai region).
• Pray for blessing on former Okinawa region staff member Higa Moe now studying a Bible College course. Also for the oversight of Field Director Yoshizawa Shinya.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT MINISTRY
• As of May 2018, there were over 290,000 international students studying in Japan’s tertiary institutions and Japanese language institutions. Please pray that Christian students can join churches and fellowships. Also pray that this study abroad time will be an opportunity for many to come to know Jesus.
• Many international students are participating in KGK activities. Please pray that more international students may be able to participate at campus, block, region, and national levels. Please pray that Japanese and international students may come to witness to the Lord together.
• The IFES World Assembly will take place July 3 to 11 in Johannesburg, South Africa. KGK will send 5 delegates. Please pray that the Lord may renew their vision for student ministry in Japan and the world.
• Please pray for the international team (international student ministry & international partnerships) – Kamata, Thie, R. Dethlefs, Shimada.
• Pray for General Secretary Oshima Shigenori, and for the KGK Staff Worker Steering Committee (comprising Staff Workers Yoshizawa, Yajima, Ogawa, Aburaki, and Ikebuchi) to give appropriate lead to the national work.
• Please pray for the work of Staff Worker Ogawa Makoto, who has responsibility for national KGK graduate work. May he be a real encouragement to graduates throughout Japan.
• Please pray for the administrative side of KGK to be able to continue to serve student evangelism well.
• Pray for areas within the staff team where roles are being handed over to other staff.
• Please pray for graduate students involved in planning the East Asia Graduates Conference (EAGC), set to take place in August of this year. Would there be rich graduate fellowship in each region as a result.