KGK (Kirisutosha Gakusei Kai) is an evangelical ministry to university students in Japan and is a member of the International Fellowship of Evangelical Students (IFES). We are seeking to reach university students in Japan with the gospel of Jesus Christ. At present, there are around 1,370 students who are involved in the ministry of KGK around the country. Some of the larger groups may have up to 30 students. Some campuses may have only one Christian student that we know of.
If you are an international student or know someone who is coming to study in Japan, please contact the following staff members through this Google Form.
They will be more than happy to connect you with students and staff in the area/region.
Yasuyuki Kamata (International Ministry Staff worker) email@example.com
Kellie Nicholas (Missionary Staff worker in Kansai region) firstname.lastname@example.org
For information on OCF (Overseas Christian Fellowship), please see here.
Prayer Requests -April to May 2019
• We are grateful for a blessed Spring Camp. Please pray that students would make daily quiet times a priority. Please pray they take to heart this year’s theme ‘Be Still’: would they be still and know God, and walk expectantly before Him.
• Please pray that God would connect new students to KGK in each region and that Campus activities would continue. Please pray that we’d be able to start up Campus Bible studies in Kushiro, where there is presently no KGK activity.
• Please pray for KGK Hokkaido’s Annual Meeting on 13th April. As well as hearing a report from our Supporters Group, we will have a Thanksgiving for missionary Nathanael Ayling, a Commissioning Ceremony for GA Hashimoto Ikku, introductions from the Student Team, and a round-table discussion on the theme of ‘Student Mission Today’.
• Please pray God’s blessing on the Eastern Hokkaido Camp from 29th April – 1st May, and on the Graduates’ Camp, on the theme of Relationships and Marriage, over 2nd and 3rd May. Pray that each participant would be encouraged and have a good time of learning.
• Please pray for Staff Worker Sugimoto as he travels about and that he would relate well with the students. Pray also for GA Hashimoto Ikku as he begins a new job.
• Give thanks that Spring Camp went well.
• Please pray for good preparations for the coming academic year, including good hand-over for the Regional Committee, and the meetings of the Summer Camp Organizing Committee.
• Thank God that Staff Worker Nagai Sosei has moved safely. Please pray for his family to settle well, and for God’s blessing on their life and work in Sendai.
• Kanto Region hosted the KGK National Conference (NC) from 25th February – 1st March. Thanks to God’s rich blessing, it was a really good time. Thank you so much for your prayers. Please pray that participants would respond towards God with ‘Here I am!’ in the places to which He sends them.
• A series of 5 seminars for KGK staff begins in April and continues over the coming year. The lecturer is Pastor Nomura Takamichi of JECA Ikutaoka-no-ue Church. Graduates and students are also welcome to attend. Please pray for stimulating learning.
• On Saturday 11th May we will hold a Welcome Party for new students. Please pray for it to be used as a chance to lots of new students to get together, to learn about KGK and to connect with their relevant Campus and Block. Please pray for senior students to show healthy Biblical hospitality to new students and first-timers. Please pray for Staff Worker Yoshizawa Shinya as he delivers the message.
• Leaders Training Camp takes place over Friday 31st May and Saturday 1st June. Please pray for many Regional, Block and Campus Committee members, and students with leadership roles, to participate.
• A KGK Open Seminar organized by our Supporters Group is scheduled for Monday 17th June. Please pray for many pastors, church council members and believers with a burden for mission amongst students to come together and have a good time of learning and fellowship. Please pray for speaker Staff Worker Aida Miyuki.
• Our theme for the year is ‘God’s Love, Human Love, Supporting Love – Living as Christ’s Body’. With this in mind, please pray for us to love one another as we receive God’s love.
• Please pray for each Campus Bible study, especially for new and unbelieving students to come.
• Please pray that new students would connect with KGK and encourage one another to live in the light of the Gospel. Please pray for the Welcome Camp for New Students from 10th-11th May.
• Please pray for Shizuoka Camp from 14th-15th June. It’s a new initiative so please pray for preparations.
• Please pray for the work and spiritual lives of Staff Workers Kawano Yuya, Yamaguchi Kakeru and Judith Ricken.
• Please pray that there would be interested students on each Campus in the new academic year, and that we would be able to make contact. Please pray that students would be courageous in distributing flyers.
• Please pray for Christian students on Campus to draw alongside those who are not yet Christians. Please pray for their salvation.
• Some non-Christians attend monthly Prefectural Prayer Meetings in each prefecture in the region. Pray for relationships centered on prayer to deepen, and be an opportunity for witnessing the love of God.
• Please pray for the work of the Steering Committee members in the new academic year. As they work faithfully for God, would Hokuriku Region KGK as a whole grow in maturity.
• Please pray for more Campuses to hold Prayer Meetings as well as Campus Bible Studies, so that Campuses are more actively depending on God.
• Please pray for Regional finances, so that we can grow mission work amongst students.
• Please pray for the work of the Supporters Group, particularly that more and more churches in the Region would know about what KGK does. Please pray for God’s protection over the Pastors who serve as part of the Supporters Group.
• Please pray for God’s protection over each prefecture’s Graduates Group, that members would be strengthened by the Word and live out the Gospel where God has placed them.
• 43 people from Kansai Region attended National Conference from 25th February to 1st March. 79 people attended Spring Camp from 12th to 14th March (11 of whom attending for the first time). Both were great times of learning and fellowship.
• Please pray for new students to join KGK activities in every Campus, Block and Region from the start of the new academic year.
• Please pray for good times at the Welcome Parties in each Campus and Block.
• Please pray for the Kansai Region Welcome Camp for new students from 24th-25th May.
• Please pray for protection over preparation for Summer Camps Part 1 and Part 2.
• Please pray that Graduates Fellowship would be used for student support and mutual fellowship.
• Please pray for Shimizu Yutaro’s future steps as he finishes his time as a Graduate Assistant.
• Please pray for the Region’s financial needs to be met.
• Give thanks for how God blessed our Spring Camp. Please pray it would be a spur as the new academic year starts.
• Please pray for those affected by the landslides in Western Japan last July, particularly Kurashiki in Okayama, Kure in Hiroshima, and Uwajima in Ehime. May God use the disaster support network set up by regional churches. Please pray that KGK would be able to continue to serve alongside.
• Please pray for student evangelism on each Campus and in each Prefecture. Pray that there would be Christians at each university, who link up with KGK activities. Please pray for new Christian students on each Campus in the new academic year.
• Please pray for continued energetic evangelism on Campuses in the San’in region (Tottori and Shimane prefectures).
• Please pray for preparations for Spring Camp (Monday 11th – Thursday 14th March).
• Pray that students and graduates would live out the Gospel in the places to which God has sent them.
• Please pray that the Alumni gatherings in each Prefecture would be times of good fellowship, prayer and encourage support.
• Please pray for more workers for student evangelism in the Chushikoku Region. May we be able to employ more Staff Workers in the Region.
• Please pray for those affected by the earthquake in Oita, Kumamoto Prefecture. Through its involvement with the Kyushu Christian Disaster Relief Centre, would KGK be able to help long-term, and provide ever better service.
• Please pray for student's spiritual growth and church life. Would new students at Campus and monthly local area KGK meetings continue to be connected with campus groups.
• Pray for the staff worker to take time, in the midst of busyness, to be quiet before God, to pray, and be taught and challenged through the Bible, and to grow in faith.
• Please pray for him to have healthy relations with his wife and family, as he travels about a lot. Pray that his two children would put their trust in Christ. Please pray also for God’s blessing on the work of cooperating Staff and on their families.
• Please pray for our Steering Committee and for organizational stability for KGK. Would students work together and serve one another as brothers and sisters in the faith.
• Pray that we’d be able to hold Graduates Fellowship Meetings for the whole of Kyushu.
• We would like to see more Staff Workers in Kyushu in the next 3 years. Please pray for good finances.
• Please pray as we prepare for this year’s Summer Camp. Please also pray for the middle/high school camp (‘Tamago 2’) that KGK is organizing for March 2020.
• Praise God that the Bible Study at Ryukyu University has been given recognized status as a university club. This is the first time such a thing has happened in the Okinawa Region.
• Please pray for graduating students to keep walking with the Lord. Pray for members of the Students Committee – there has been a complete change of members. With the coming year there will be no resident Staff Worker in the Region – please pray for the students to have help, wisdom and protection from the Lord.
• Please pray for the Welcome Party for new students on 18th May. Pray that we’d be able to make links with new students and for deepening relationships in the Lord.
• Pray for the Lord’s ongoing work in the Region – that Bible Studies and Prayer Meetings would continue at Ryukyu University, Meio University, and Okinawa Christian University; and that new students would join.
• In March resident Staff Worker Higa Moe leaves KGK and Supervising Staff Yoshizawa Shinya gives up his post in Okinawa. In April, Staff Worker Narumi Tomoko begins as Supervising Staff for Okinawa, in addition to her role in Kansai Region. Please pray for the Lord to richly bless Staff Worker Higa’s studies at Bible School and Staff Worker Yoshizawa’s work as KGK Mission Director, as well as Staff worker Narumi Tomoko's new work in Okinawa.
• Pray for General Secretary Oshima Shigenori, and for the KGK Staff Worker Steering Committee (comprising Staff Workers Yoshizawa, Yajima, Ogawa, Aburaki, and Ikebuchi) to give appropriate lead to the national work.
• Please pray for the work of Staff Worker Ogawa, who has responsibility for national KGK graduate work. May he be a real encouragement to graduates throughout Japan.
• Please pray for the administrative side of KGK to best serve student evangelism.
• Please pray for graduate students involved in planning the East Asia Graduates Conference (EAGC), set to take place in August of this year. Would there be rich graduate fellowship in each region as a result.