KGK (Kirisutosha Gakusei Kai) is an evangelical ministry to university students in Japan and is a member of the International Fellowship of Evangelical Students (IFES). We are seeking to reach university students in Japan with the gospel of Jesus Christ. At present, there are around 1,370 students who are involved in the ministry of KGK around the country. Some of the larger groups may have up to 30 students. Some campuses may have only one Christian student that we know of.
If you are an international student or know someone who is coming to study in Japan, please contact the following staff members through this Google Form.
They will be more than happy to connect you with students and staff in the area/region.
Yasuyuki Kamata (International Ministry Staff worker) firstname.lastname@example.org
Kellie Nicholas (Missionary Staff worker in Kansai region) email@example.com
For information on OCF (Overseas Christian Fellowship), please see here.
Prayer Requests -December 2018 to January 2019
• Please pray that Campus and Block activities would be protected through the second semester. Please pray that Christmas events would be used and Christ shared. Please pray that unbelievers would be connected with church and come to faith. There are lots of students planning to be baptized over the Christmas period. Please pray that their faith would be protected and that they would walk in daily fellowship with the Lord.
• Please pray for Bible Camp from 26th-28th December. We are coordinating preparations via online meetings. Please pray for preparations. Please pray that the Camp would be a time of understanding the richness of salvation, as we study the Letter to the Romans.
• Please pray for preparations for Spring Camp, 12th-15th March 2019. Students who are about to begin their time at university in April will participate: please pray that graduating students would be able to pass on the KGK spirit to the next generation. Would they themselves take this time to review their life of faith and get into good habits of obedience to the Lord. The theme of the Camp is taken from Hebrews 12:2: ‘EYE TEST: Your focus is a bit off!’.
• Please pray for staff worker Sugimoto as he drives about Hokkaido during the Winter. From April 2019, Hashimoto Ikku (current 4th year at Sapporo College of Education) will begin as a GA (Graduate Assistant). Please pray for God’s support as he prepares.
• Please pray for second semester activities. As well as praying for blessing on current activities, please pray for preparations for the coming academic year. Please also pray that students would be added to prefectures where there are currently no KGK activities.
• Please pray for Year-End Camp. This year Pastor Kurashima Arata from Masago Christ Church will be leading studies in the Letter to the Galatians.
• Please pray for preparations for Spring Camp, from 5th-8th March at Lake Kinshu. As well as current students, please pray that those about to start at university would be able to join.
• Please pray for new staff worker Nagai Sosei. Please pray that the Nagai family would be able to settle into new accommodation and make a good start.
• Please pray that Campus and Block Christmas activities would be used for evangelism. Would many students come to understand the true meaning of Christmas.
• The second semester is the time when next year’s student volunteers are decided, and they start assuming some responsibility. Please pray for God to raise up suitable volunteers to serve as Campus leaders and committee members, Block and Regional committee members. May the students respond decisively to God’s call. Would there be good hand-over in each area of activity. We have Handover Camp for the Regional committee members from 27th-28th December.
• We are thankful for many new KGK members. Please pray for these students to walk in the KGK spirit, living out the Gospel in the campuses where God has placed them, and walking as witnesses of Jesus Christ.
• In December two important events will be held - the Christmas meeting, and year-end camp. Pray for protection on the work of the planning committee and regional students committee. Pray that many students will attend.
• Many students from the Tokai region will attend the 2019 KGK National Conference; pray that there would be good opportunities for fellowship with students from other regions and much blessing for those who attend.
• Pray for the second semester activities on each campus - for growth in numbers and in maturity of those attending - especially for many non-Christians to be connected to the activities.
• Please also remember the local area ('Block') activities, and the work of the student leaders responsible for them. Pray that they would provide opportunities for many students to learn and grow.
• Pray for Staff, Graduate Assistant, and Cooperating staff to stay healthy through the busy end of year activities.
• Pray for the Gospel to be proclaimed at, and for God's protection on, each of the Christmas events. Pray that students would be bold in inviting people to them.
• Please ask the Lord to help the regional student committee, especially that they would serve the campus ministries well. Pray for next year's committee members to be provided in good time.
• Pray that campus groups would plan and prepare well to continue activities into next year.
• As preparations for the spring camp begins, pray that each member of the planning team would serve faithfully in the task of planning and preparing.
• Pray for sufficient funding for the work in Hokuriku, so that the much needed Gospel work will go forward.
• Ask the Lord to bless guest speaker Ogawa Makoto as he prepares to speak a the supporters special lecture.
• Pray for health and good preparation for Pastor Watanabe Hironao who will speak at the 2.11 meeting.
• Ask for the Lord to guard and strengthen the pastors of the KGK Hokuriku support group, and their work.
• On October 4th the Kansai region '222 Club Part 2' (prayer meeting for those considering full time paid Gospel ministry) was held, and from November 9th-10th the 'Autumn Camp Bible Expo'. Give thanks for excellent times of study.
• Pray that the second semester campus activities will be used mightily.
• Ask that many non-believers would come to know the Lord Jesus through the campus and local area Christmas meetings: Hannawa Block Christmas meeting (17th December), Hyougo Block Christmas meeting (17th December), Keiji Block Christmas meeting (18th December).
• Pray for the KGK Graduates Fellowship activities - （5th Jan: 'Siguwaka prayer meeting'; 13th-14th Jan: Young graduates conference; 9th March: Homecoming Day)
• Ask the Lord to protect and guide the Spring camp to be held March 12th-14th
• Pray for protection and blessing on Graduate Assistant Shimizu Yutaro's health and work. Also for Staff worker Kellie in Australia for deputation and study. Pray that staff workers would maintain good relationships with students and be able to support them as well as possible.
• Ask for sufficient financial provision for the work of KGK in Kansai.
• Pray for those affected by the heavy rains in July (especially for Kurashiki in Okayama, Kure in Hiroshima, and Uwajima in Ehime). Ask the Lord to use the disaster relief activities of the network of churches. Pray for KGK also to be able to continue helping.
• Pray for the work of student mission in each prefecture and on every campus.
• Pray that seeking students would be led to saving faith in Jesus. Especially pray for blessing on Christmas meetings to be held at each campus and in each Prefecture.
• Ask that there would be an increase in active student mission in the Sanin region (Shimane and Tottori).
• Give thanks for an encouraging time of fellowship at the current and past student's regional meeting on Sept 24th.
• The year-end conference will be held from Weds 26th December to Friday 28th. Pray for staff worker Ikebuchi's preparation.
• Pray for the preparations for the spring camp to be held from Monday 11th-Thursday 14th March.
• Ask that students and graduates would live out the Gospel wherever God has placed them.
• Pray for the former member meetings in each prefecture to be good times of prayer, fellowship and for encouraging financial giving.
• Pray for more workers to be raised up to serve the student evangelism in Chushikoku.
• Pray for maturing faith for each student. Also that each campus and local area meeting would be used mightily. And pray for the process of handing on to new leaders.
• May the Lord grant spiritual vigour to full time and cooperating staff. Pray for blessing on families, and for spouses to continue growing together in Godliness.
• Pray for more staff workers for Kyushu region.
• Ask the Lord to bless preparation for spring camp: for good numbers attending, faith to be strengthened, and for encouragement to make the most of the new academic year.
• Pray for preparation of the middle/high school camp ('Tamago 2') which KGK will be running in 2020. For faithful service at every stage.
• Pray for Gospel unity for the Kyushu regional students committee. Pray that they may each have God-given endurance and strength to keep going and fulfill each ministry.
• Ask the Lord for a KGK graduates meeting to be established for the Kyushu region.
• Pray for KGK students in Okinawa, to be encouraged to keep confessing and worshipping Jesus, in their campuses, and in their churches.
• Pray that KGK students will bring their friends along to the Christmas celebration meeting on the 8th December. Pray that it will be a blessed time leading to salvation of some who attend.
• Pray for Ryukyu University bible study group to be given official status. Also, for campus activities at Meio University and Okinawa Christian University. Give thanks that new members have joined both these groups recently, in answer to prayer.
• Give thanks for the monthly KGK graduates Bible study continuing. May the blessing received from that meeting flow into workplaces and family life and be richly used.
• Pray for protection and encouragement for the handover next academic year to new Okinawa staff worker, new student committee, and new campus leaders.
• Pray for God's rich provision for physical and spiritual health for resident staff Higa Moe and supervising staff Yoshizawa Shinya, and for blessing on their work.
• Pray for General Secretary Shigenori Oshima, and for the Staff Worker steering committee (Yoshizawa, Yajima, Ogawa, Aburaki and Ikebuchi), that together they would give the appropriate lead to KGK work nationally.
• Pray for the work of Makoto Ogawa, serving as National Graduate Staff Worker, and for protection on his travels and appointments.
• For blessing on the Administrative team, that they would serve increasingly well the front line of student evangelism.
• Pray for KGK graduates serving on the preparation committee for the IFES East Asia region Graduates Conference (EAGC) to be held in August 2019. Pray for joyful partnership between graduates from each region to result.
• The 2018 budget period finishes at the end of December: pray for full provision of all the needs for this year.
• From January the office will begin the final accounting process for the past year. This is a huge undertaking - pray that it would finish smoothly without any mistakes.