KGK (Kirisutosha Gakusei Kai) is an evangelical ministry to university students in Japan and is a member of the International Fellowship of Evangelical Students (IFES). We are seeking to reach university students in Japan with the gospel of Jesus Christ. At present, there are around 1,370 students who are involved in the ministry of KGK around the country. Some of the larger groups may have up to 30 students. Some campuses may have only one Christian student that we know of.
If you are an international student or know someone who is coming to study in Japan, please contact the following staff members through this Google Form.
They will be more than happy to connect you with students and staff in the area/region.
Yasuyuki Kamata (International Ministry Staff worker) email@example.com
Kellie Nicholas (Missionary Staff worker in Kansai region) firstname.lastname@example.org
For information on OCF (Overseas Christian Fellowship), please see here.
Prayer Requests April-May 2021
• Give thanks for blessing and protection on the Spring Camp held online from 9th-12th March. Pray for students’ whole life witness to the resurrection wherever they go.
• Pray that new students would join every campus and local area meeting so that they are able to keep going strong. Pray also for salvation of students who are not yet believing.
• Pray for the East Hokkaido Camp taking place from May 4th-5th. This year we will study about how to do Bible studies! Pray that it will be a good time of study and encouragement as we think about what Bible study is, and how to do it well.
• Pray for blessing and protection on Hashimoto Ikku, giving thanks for his two years as Graduate Assistant, and praying for his new work as a Staff Worker in the Kanto region. Pray for the work of Sasaki Miho who will be starting in Hokkaido as a new Graduate Assistant. Pray for protection on her and Staff Worker Sugimoto Jun as they travel around Hokkaido, that they would encourage the faith of students.
• Please pray that many students, especially first years, who have an interest in the Bible and KGK activities, would be brought into contact with KGK and join campus and regional events.
• Pray for students in positions of leadership would be upheld by the Lord – especially for those taking on new service in the new academic year from April.
• Pray for activities in Akita and Fukushima prefectures where there are few students connected to KGK. Pray that students there would connect with regional activities, and that through them local activities would start up.
• Pray for the regional staff team (Staff Worker Nagai Sosei and Graduate Assistant Higashi Sumire). Pray that they would grow as a healthy team and be able to encourage students more and more.
• Give thanks that the plan and vision for the next academic year was ratified at the AGM on March 6th. Pray that each and every activity would be used to grow the work of KGK in the Kanto region.
• Give thanks for blessing and protection on the Spring Camp held from 16th-18th March. There were really excellent talks, testimonies and seminars given by graduating members. Pray that the experience they had of getting into God’s Word would be a great foundation for them their whole lives. Pray also for godliness in the year ahead for students who attended the camp.
• Pray for wisdom to be given committee members and Staff Workers as they make decisions about whether to hold events from April online or face-to-face. Pray they would prayerfully find good ways to help new students and those not yet believing to connect with KGK activities.
• As KGK is informed about particular students starting at University in April, pray that those who have been prayed for and sent out by their churches will connect to campus, local area and regional groups. Through that may they know the riches of the Gospel, and become lifelong, whole life witnesses to Christ, who also build up his church.
• Pray for the Kanto region KGK Graduate Fellowship to grow in reach and in depth of relationships. Pray for the Leaders Meeting planned for 17th April to be a real encouragement to all those serving on the KGK Graduate Fellowship committee, the editing committee of Koinonia Magazine, and as facilitators of the Graduate Year groups, area prayer meetings, and prayer meetings for those in different occupational fields.
• From April, Yoshizawa Shinya will again take up leadership of Kanto KGK region, and Ohtsuka Shin, Hashimoto Ikku, Shimada Mikuni (nee Kuwashima), Kobayashi Yu, Tomita Shiori will become Staff Workers for Kanto region, and Staff Workers Tsukamoto Yoshiki and Shiroma Hajime will become KGK Graduate Fellowship staff workers. Pray that amidst the changes the Kanto KGK staff team will continue to be a good team, and help grow the work of KGK Kanto region.
• Pray for first year students to be connected to KGK and make good friends with those who share the faith.
• Pray for campus Bible studies to get going again this new academic year, and pray for the leaders of those groups. Pray also for not yet believing students to join the groups.
• Pray for the new students’ welcome camp to be held May 14th-15th. Ask that attending students, including first years, will be encouraged to live out the Gospel wherever they are placed.
• Pray for good times for Judith who is currently on deputation ministry in Germany.
• Pray for Staff Workers Kawano Yuya and Yamaguchi Kakeru to be blessed and protected in every way. May they serve students with the love of Christ.
• Pray that in the new academic year from April, new Christian students would join KGK, and that the Gospel would be proclaimed on the campuses.
• Ask the Lord that KGK would be used as the means of Christian students growing in maturity in Christ.
• Pray for really well-planned activities in the new term, and effective welcoming of new members leading to healthy groups being formed.
• Pray for blessing and protection on face-to-face activities, for good times together as students.
• Pray for godliness for KGK students who have just graduated, that they would be able to serve God in the workplaces they have been brought into. Pray especially for good physical and spiritual health for students who have recently left Hokuriku to start work elsewhere.
• Pray for the regional Graduates meeting to be blessed, so that they both encourage one another and grow in supporting the student work of KGK.
• Ask God’s blessing on the KGK graduates ‘Present Seminar’, that students would appreciate it, and that through the study time students’ faith would be encouraged.
• Pray for those in the Supporting churches group Committee. Especially having not met face to face for a long time, pray that they would have necessary discussions and be able to support KGK well going forward. Also pray for protection and rich blessing on the pastors who serve on the committee.
• Give thanks for protection on the 13th February when the supporting churches AGM, Kansai region Graduates Fellowship AGM, and Homecoming Day (with speaker Takagi Minoru) were held online.
• The Spring Camp was held from March 10th-12th with 79 participants. The first two days were online and the third day was held face to face outdoors. Give thanks for an excellent time of study and fellowship.
• Pray for the Coronavirus to be controlled, so that face to face meetings can be held with peace of mind. Until that time, pray for wise planning, in careful consideration of the changing situation.
• Pray for new members to join campus, local area and regional activities. Ask blessing on the new students welcome camp planned for May 28th-29th.
• Pray for preparation for the KGK National Conference to be hosted by Kanto region in March 2022.
• Pray for blessing on the ‘Challenge Day’ to be held on June 12th with speaker Oshima Yuka.
• Pray for the Staff Worker team in Kansai to work well together to serve the students.
• Give thanks for the activities that were able to be held over the last year despite Covid-19. Pray that we would make the most of opportunities for mission that are presented by online ministry.
• Give thanks for God’s blessing on the Spring camp. Pray that KGK students and graduates would continue lives of witness to Jesus.
• Pray for new students to join the KGK groups on every campus, so that the Lord’s work will advance.
• Pray for newly graduated KGK members to serve God’s Kingdom wherever they go.
• Pray that KGK Graduate Fellowship meetings in each prefecture or area would be good times of fellowship, and raise up support for the continuing work of student mission.
• Pray that the addition of a Graduate Assistant (GA) to support the work of the Staff Worker in the region will aid the work of Student mission. Pray also for the Lord to sustain and bless each of their families.
• Pray that the next GA would be raised up.
• Pray that the Lord would provide all that is needed financially for the work of the region.
• Pray that amidst the Covid-19 crisis, not a single student would be forgotten by the Lord, but each would continue to have their faith encouraged, and be spurred on in their evangelism.
• Pray for new 1st year students to commit to the KGK movement, and to local churches also.
• Pray that the regional Summer Camp would be able to be held face to face.
• Pray that Staff Workers and Volunteer Staff would be given great wisdom to be able to encourage students.
• Pray for unity between staff workers and associate staff. Also pray for protection on their spiritual and physical health. Pray for blessing on the families of staff members who support them in their work.
• Pray for KGK Graduate Fellowships to be established in every prefecture in the region.
• Pray for the financial resources needed for this year to be provided, and for additional KGK staff for Kyushu region in future – currently there is only one.
• Pray for the spread of Covid-19 to be stopped, and for activities to continue, while keeping a close eye on the virus transmission situation.
• Pray for new students to join KGK activities!
• Pray that along with Ryukyu University activities, KGK group activities will begin at other university campuses, and that through them students would come to hear the Gospel.
• Pray for protection and blessing on every student in every way, and especially that they would mature as believers in Jesus.
• Pray for Godly living for the graduating KGK students. Ask that the KGK Okinawa Graduates fellowship would increase its reach, and for God to raise up more KGK-supporting individuals and churches.
• As there is currently no resident Staff Worker in the region, please pray for adequate support for all the activities. Please pray for Okinawa Supervising Staff Worker Narumi (concurrently serving as Kansai Staff Worker) and Volunteer Staff - Pastor Fukushima and Pastor Hirano.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT MINISTRY
■ As of May 1, 2019, there were 312,214 international students studying in Japan’s tertiary institutions and Japanese language institutions. Please pray that Christian students can join churches and fellowships. Also pray that this study abroad time will be an opportunity for many to come to know Jesus.
■ It is hard to meet new international students during COVID-19. Please pray that God will help us meet them.
■ “After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. And they cried out in a loud voice: ‘Salvation belongs to our God, who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb.’” Please pray that even more international students will participate in KGK activities across the country.
■ We thank God that OCF (Overseas Christian Fellowship) monthly gatherings (4th Saturdays) and Bible studies (Thursdays) have continued via Zoom. Please pray that even more international students may join and many would experience salvation and growth through the proclamation of the Gospel.
■ We thank God for the participation of international students in NET from Australia, Brazil, Gabon, and South Korea. Please pray for their continued walk in Christ, and that many more international students will participate in NET.
■ We thank God to see students and alumni who have captured a vision through KGK to serve international students. A Japanese student led a workshop on international student ministry at Kanto region spring camp, with 10 participants. Please pray that even more may be raised.
■ We thank God that 4 staff will serve as the international student ministry team – Yasu Kamata, Chenny Thie, Roger Dethlefs, Yuya Shimada. Please pray that we may serve international students in 2021 with continued unity in vision.
• Pray for the work and responsibilities of General Secretary Yajima Shiro, and Administrative Manager Aburagi Momoko. Also pray for Staff Worker Tsukamoto Yoshiki who will lead the Graduate Fellowship ministry from April.
• Pray that wisdom would be given as to how best to carry out the work of the Admin department given the changing Coronavirus situation. Pray that nothing will prevent the work of student mission being effectively carried out.
• Pray for Staff Worker Ogawa Makoto who oversees the KGK national graduates’ ministry. Pray that KGK graduates all over the country would be encouraged in their faith. Pray for him to continue carry out his work effectively until his planned retirement from KGK in March 2021. Pray for sufficient giving towards his leaving fund.
• Pray that the KGK staff steering committee (Staff Workers Yoshizawa Shinya, Yajima Shiro, Aburagi Momoka, Ikebuchi Ryousuke ,Nagai Sosei and Tsukamoto Yoshiki) would give appropriate lead to the national work.
• The Finance and Admin team are beginning to work in the office again. Pray for protection of health in commuting and at work.
• Pray for the overall work of the new academic year.